Blogger Templates
"You Don't Find Who You Truly Can Be Until You Have Lost Everything You Once Were. " -Chad Hymas
"Our Greatest Weakness Lies in Giving Up. The Most Certain Way to Succeed is Always to Try Just One More Time." -Thomas Edison

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Good=Evil?

A friend of mine posted this on facebook today. I'm not going to lie-despite my many doubts and struggles with my faith-this picture makes me all sorts of uneasy and frankly I'm not sure I can accurately describe how this feels other than a dagger being shoved into my chest.
Isaiah 5:20 says: "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter."
Many of my thoughts the past couple of weeks have been directed at the questions: 
"What is right?" and "What is wrong?" 
I think that as a whole, our human civilization can agree that there are a few unarguable terms that are very distinctly WRONG. Those terms include theft, cheating (on a test, or on a spouse-although some may try to argue that one) and murder. 
But what, might I ask you, is right? Is there even an inkling of a standard of what is right anymore?
The world today is full of completely unique opinions. There is NOTHING wrong to having an opinion. It's great that we have learned to use our brains. Along with our ever-increasing opinions, it seems that tolerance is something a lot of the world is trying to accomplish as well. This is a good thing, but sometimes I wonder if we tolerate just a little bit too much of the wrong stuff. But then again, WHAT IS WRONG?
Instead of being a non-judgmental force, our lack of standing up for right vs wrong has become a catalyst for allowing ANYTHING to fly.
(I do want to point out at this time that I do recognize that there are millions of people out there that serve one another and sacrifice their lives for the betterment of others. I don't want to completely ignore that fact.)
50 years ago the world viewed things quite differently-or at least that's the image I have. People were a little more reserved in their actions, drugs and sex were a little bit more behind-the-scenes and there was an implied standard of goodness (respect your parents, be honest, etc).
What standards do we have now? 
Do we even have any standards at all?
The problem I have with this picture isn't so much as it is attacking those who believe in God as it it attacking those who want to have a higher standard. It is attacking those that want to be GOOD. 
What is wrong with being good???
We may get to the end of our life and find out there really is no God. What if we pass from this life into another existence, or better yet completely cease to exist at all?
What's wrong with believing in something? What's wrong with believing in God? What's wrong with wanting to be a good person and turning to a Bible to help guide you in your quest for goodness (Oh wait, loving one another is a bad thing...)? Why is this thing that could possibly be right be so wrong to the world around us?
And, if we're being so tolerant of those that don't believe, I believe they should in turn be tolerant towards those of us that do believe. It's a double-edged sword my friends. 
Oh yeah...and...the biggest thing I have with this is...
NO ONE IT PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!
Once we figure out that even the people we hold in highest regards aren't perfect, I think there might be some hope for true tolerance, with standards still in tact. The Pope isn't perfect, the Pres. of the LDS Church isn't perfect and neither are any of the leaders of any other churches, cults, sects or whatever else is out there.

0 comments: