Blogger Templates
"You Don't Find Who You Truly Can Be Until You Have Lost Everything You Once Were. " -Chad Hymas
"Our Greatest Weakness Lies in Giving Up. The Most Certain Way to Succeed is Always to Try Just One More Time." -Thomas Edison

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

So, there was this one time...

Most who read this (if there is anyone) know I am studying massage therapy. In July we started our clinic rotations. These rotations include working on 5 clients for 50 minutes each.

So...
This past Saturday I was going along, enjoying my clinic shift, enjoying working with my clients and looking forward to going home. I got to my final client and that's when it got interesting. First of all, the client took a VERY long time explaining his issues (that's not the point of this story though), so by the time I FINALLY got him to the booth and had stepped out so he could disrobe and get on the table I was already running behind (we are timed). Before I had gotten to this point I will mention that the table had been excessively noisy and I had been a little concerned about its stability. Due to the nature of our 'booths' you can hear pretty much everything going on (thank you curtains). I was listening to my client get onto the table and preparing myself to enter. Then suddenly, horrifically, and (sadly) unsurprisingly, I heard a big cracking/crashing sound. I'm sure you can imagine, I had the worst image in my mind. I had pictured the table collapsed in the middle with my client splayed everywhere in a mangled mess. (Thank heavens that wasn't the case!) I asked the client if he was ok and he said yes. I wanted to just jump in to the booth and make sure everything was ok, but just before I opened the curtain I remembered he was naked and most likely NOT under the sheets. I asked him if he was covered, he said no, so I asked him to get dressed...apologizing profusely the whole time. After he got dressed I walked in and surveyed the damage. One of the support beams had broken loose. The table was not even remotely safe at this point sooooo...obviously I was in an interesting situation.
I had him walk downstairs with me to the office and I told the managers the situation. Their reactions were fun (the look of surprise was entertaining...). When I left the booth upstairs I grabbed the sheets from the table expecting I'd be needing a fresh set because I thought, for some reason, I would be told to set up for another client while someone else would take my client...I'm not sure why I thought this might happen, but it's what I was thinking. I didn't bring anything else with me; just the 2 sheets and the towel. After explaining the situation they told me I could go into the room next to them and take a booth in there. So, with no bungee (to secure the linens to the table), a bolster that was just sitting in the office and a replacement face rest cover (supplied to me almost instantly by the office staff) I went to the next room and proceeded to set up my booth. Only, my client was watching the entire time (kind of annoying if you ask me). I realized I had left my bungee and had to improvise by tying knots in the corners of the sheets (this has NEVER worked well for me in class, but miraculously it worked just fine this time). And, as I was just about done setting up, I realized I had left my clock upstairs and I was in a booth in which there was NO clock.
So, trusting I could do my regular session flow (which usually ends up being around 50 minutes) I started.
I worked on my client and did my best, and I have NO idea how long his session really was, but I think, all things considered, it went pretty well.
It was DEFINITELY an experience to remember.
And, honestly, other than the fact that it made me get out of clinic a lot later than I had hoped for (I usually finish around 6:15-ish, I finished at 6:50-ish...and there was another situation that made me later as well, but that was NOT my fault...I promise) it wasn't a big deal. I really hope it doesn't happen again though.
So there you have it.
My massage table broke on me when my client got on it.
Thank HEAVENS it's the school's table! :-D

0 comments: