Blogger Templates
"You Don't Find Who You Truly Can Be Until You Have Lost Everything You Once Were. " -Chad Hymas
"Our Greatest Weakness Lies in Giving Up. The Most Certain Way to Succeed is Always to Try Just One More Time." -Thomas Edison

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Difficult Times

Once again this is just a venting about how stressed out I am right now.
This has nothing to do with my emotional and physical problems. After reading this, you will know my finances...just warning...you may not really need to read this.

I work an average of 30 hours a week for a measly $7.50/hr. (this adds up to about $450-500 gross income per pay period) I do get paid tips once and awhile and receive a gas reimbursement of $1.75 for every delivery I make. Up until now I've been able to get by without much trouble. I've even almost paid off my outstanding tuition debt (about $400 left...give or take some interest and so on) (SO CLOSE TO GETTING MY DIPLOMA!!!!).
Here's where the trouble is...
I stupidly signed up for a gym membership at Gold's Gym, and a membership at Massage Envy. The Massage Envy membership was a horrible mistake (but it forces me to take some time out for myself, and it has been helpful with my many aches and pains I've had this past year). The Gold's Gym membership was a good idea, although it is horribly over-priced. So, some of my financial stresses are my fault...well, ok, ALL of them are my fault...but these weren't as necessary.
Here's the low-down. (remember these are averages and rounded up to keep it simple...and my hours change every week, so it's just an estimation)
My average direct deposit is about $400 twice a month. That's about $800 a month. My rent is $250. That leaves me with $550 for bills and whatnot. Take out my $100/mo tuition repayment, that's $450. Then there's the credit card repayment of $75/mo. $375...ok. Then take the memberships I am obligated to pay...which almost equal $90. This leaves me with about $285. This doesn't seem too bad I suppose...but then there's power and internet to take into consideration. I'll round that up to about $20/mo. So, $265 is where I'm at now. And, of course there's the religious contributions I make every week (tithing). It probably averages out to $60 per paycheck, so $120/mo. That leaves me with 145/mo. Split that in half, since this total has been for the month average so far...We'll just make it an even $75 per paycheck left for food and gas. Ha...gas. I put in at least $20/week (the joys of driving for a job). So, about 40 for gas leaves me with...35 for food. This is survivable, right?!
Here's my major dilemma. My paychecks haven't been that big lately (haven't been getting more than 30 hours a week lately) and this thing called a car has practically stripped me bare. All within one day I realized I was in trouble. Tuesday it snowed. I knew my front tires were not good, but was hoping that they would survive just a little longer. I had driven to Salt Lake for a job interview (which I did not get). It was precipitating a little bit and I discovered that my windshield wiper on the driver side was in a bad way. So, after my interview I had to purchase a new wiper (no big deal...it was only $5). Then, as I got closer to home, the snow got worse. Not realizing how unsafe my tires were I kept driving as normal. I finally got to a stoplight...only I didn't really stop...not until I was halfway through the intersection. Thankfully no one was in front of me and no one had started driving from the other sides. Then, as I slowed to turn into my apartment complex I slid, far, again. I knew it was time to get new tires...but I had to work that night. So, I actually attempted to have someone cover my shift since I was literally scared out of my mind to drive again. After convincing myself I would need the money, I eventually went into work. As I turned on my headlights I noticed something else wasn't right. After stepping out of my car I saw that one of my headlights was out. Great! :( So, I drove to work praying constantly that first, the roads wouldn't be slick and second, that I wouldn't get pulled over. I had to pass on making any deliveries that night which would've really helped my financial situation. It was a pain, but everything worked out ok.
Fast forward to today. I had time to take my car in to get the tires looked at. I was hoping that if I just asked them to rotate the tires (a free service) they would do it and it would be enough to last me until my parents could help me buy new tires. My hopes were in vain. Thankfully they had some used tires...but that was $90. I still had to get a new headlight...which came to $17 (but was later dropped to $10 by the person who cashed out my transaction...he has a special place in my heart right now...he saved me $7...which doesn't seem like much, but right now it's everything). Anyways. There's still a charge of $85 for a past medical bill looming over me that was supposed to come out of my account a few days ago.
I'm grateful that I'm not homeless and that I do in fact have a job. It's better to be where I'm at than where it's possible. But, holy crap...this is so difficult!!! I'm not asking for any money. I can't do that. I'm just wondering if this will ever get better.
I'm not a huge fan of most jobs available out there. I realize there are mindless jobs out there that pay well and would put me in a better situation. But, I don't want a mindless job. I need to feel like I'm worth something in my work. I don't have many amazing skills when it comes to computers or sales, etc so my job opportunities are already limited. I keep applying to jobs that I might be good at and that might fill that need to be a source of good for someone else out there, but have not had much luck. I've been applying for jobs off and on for 2 years and had my first interview this past week. It's so discouraging. I know I can't have everything, but I'm already struggling with being depressed...I need something to feel good about right now. I feel like I'm stuck in this horrible rut right now. I want to move out of Ogden. I want a better job. I need a better life. Yet, I see no hope or sign of change.
I want to go back to school so badly...but how the heck am I going to afford it?!

0 comments: