Blogger Templates
"You Don't Find Who You Truly Can Be Until You Have Lost Everything You Once Were. " -Chad Hymas
"Our Greatest Weakness Lies in Giving Up. The Most Certain Way to Succeed is Always to Try Just One More Time." -Thomas Edison

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Reflecting on "The Passion of the Christ"

I have always been curious about this movie. Since it was rated "R" I decided not to watch it. But, things have changed in my life lately and I felt that it was an appropriate movie to watch.
I had some serious contemplations while watching this movie. Yes, it was graphic, and yes, it was very rightfully rated "R." (I had to turn my head at points) But, I am very grateful for the new perspective I have now.

The first thought I have from what I saw is this: How can man be so unbelievably cruel to one another?

The scenes where they show Christ getting flogged, whipped and beaten just astound me. I can't imagine the kind of hatred that can enter a soul to make them desire to do such horrible things to someone else. The thing that I needed to see in this movie was the reality of it all. Church movies barely nick the surface when they portray what physically happened to Christ. I understand that this is a Hollywood reenactment and who knows EXACTLY what happened, but to get a better sense of the real story was completely eye-opening. I know that there are accounts of worse forms of torture in history and this just makes my jaw drop down even further. I just can't understand how it's possible to do such a thing. For anyone to suffer through something like that is completely and totally beyond my comprehension. I just don't understand it AT ALL.

My next thought is a little more not so solid.

I won't go into many details because of wanting to keep my privacy and also just not wanting to dwell on it. But, as of late my faith has been challenged in a serious way.
Watching this movie probably hurt and helped my faith in equal amounts.
For someone to willingly suffer so much pain and persecution, then to die in such a horrible manner is even further beyond me than my previous thought. How could someone so good, so innocent and so undeserving of pure evil allow themselves to go through that? I think the point that was made through this movie is that his passion was doing his father's will. The focus always seemed to be of him communicating with his father and being a normal person. Even in the scriptures, Christ has moments of not necessarily doubts, but, moments of being like a child crying to their parent, begging for the hard times to be over. Begging for there to be another way. Begging...but, submitting. This just completely astounds me.
I know I'm stubborn and a wimp. When I face trials of any sort, I don't submit to them so easily. I fight tooth and nail and usually give up and find another path.

Now that I'm not focusing on the movie as much, I'd like to get some thoughts out about the Atonement.
Christ had to have such perfect faith to allow something like this to happen to him. Any other human being would've struggled (I'm sure) with knowing if they were really going to be resurrected after giving up their life. I know I would've. I also know I would've had a hard time holding onto the knowledge that I was doing this for a greater purpose.
Anyways. My mind is starting to go blank, which means it's time to stop before I say something I shouldn't.
This movie did not confirm my faith or my lack of faith. It merely opened my eyes to a greater and deeper understanding. For anyone to go through such a travesty as an act of love for others truly shows the depth of love.
I know I'll never understand why and how. But, I'm grateful for this opportunity to be a little more aware.
Just so you know, it is horribly graphic and I am in no way recommending this movie.

0 comments: