Blogger Templates
"You Don't Find Who You Truly Can Be Until You Have Lost Everything You Once Were. " -Chad Hymas
"Our Greatest Weakness Lies in Giving Up. The Most Certain Way to Succeed is Always to Try Just One More Time." -Thomas Edison

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Ogden

So, I have been experiencing some weird feelings towards Ogden as of late. I had to drive up there yesterday (Friday) for a rather annoying situation I got myself into. Over a year ago a friend of mine asked me to accompany her for her senior recital. I saw the music and thought I could play it, so I agreed. We practiced. I practiced. And we practiced some more. But, she did not pass her recital preview and therefore was not allowed to do her recital. A year later, we are trying again. Friday was the preview. I have been kind of practicing the music, but not as much as I should. Nevertheless. It has has been a most frustrating experience. I should have told her no this time. I am not living in Ogden this summer, so I must travel almost 2 hours to get there and then 2 hours to get home. The time is a problem (since I'm trying to work as much as possible to pay off some debts), but it's not nearly as big a problem as having enough gas to make it there and back. I tell you what...those gas prices really make a difference when you have to travel at least 45 miles to get to the closest doctor, walmart, or other necesary places. Thankfully the town I live in has a small grocery store and gas station, but sometimes it's not enough. Anyways. So, I had to drive up to Ogden on Friday feeling the stress of the financial burden it was placing on me. I had to give up my day working on for this trip. Not that I love my job, but any extra hour is an hour's worth of pay I desperately need. I left town and before I left the town, I got pulled over. I have NEVER been pulled over myself. I have been in cars that have been pulled over, but I was never the driver. Yesterday was bad. I was in a hurry and couldn't stand going 20mph. So, I suppose I was at 30mph when the cop clocked me. Grr. Thankfully he only gave me a warning since it was my first offense. But, still. It is frustrating that that is now on my record. Anyways. So, I left for Ogden feeling irritated, then angry and now I was late and needed to hurry even more. To be honest, I still sped. I didn't speed as much as I usually do (there's a road that I like to drive on that is easy to hit 90mph without thinking too hard on it), but I still let my lead foot take over. Then I got to the Browning Center to practice and the room we needed was in use. Anyways. We practiced as an ensemble and had a poor run-through. I have practiced the music to the point that I can play it, but somehow I can never do it right when I'm with the ensemble. It's beyond frustrating, especially when I have a friend of mine that I feel very judged by. I won't even go into that right now. That's a whole 'nother blog. Anyways. So, after that I had a few hours to burn, so I went to go see a movie. I saw Price Caspian. That was a rather good movie. There were some bad editing and filming problems, but overall, I really liked it. It helped calm my anger down a bit, but I was still feeling on edge about everything. Then, as I started heading towards Harrison, I felt rather odd. I knew I was in Ogden and that I had been there before, but I felt so detached from it. I have spent more than half of my past 5 years there. I usually love Ogden, but this time I almost want to say...I hated it. I don't know why. Maybe it was just one of those days. I just don't know. Anyways. I got myself a Pita and went to go practice some more. I warmed up on the piano that was to be used (oh...I just remembered, I haven't said why I had to stick around....this was also the day of the preivew for the second try at the recital for this friend). My left hand just wouldn't work for me. I tried hannon exercises and scales and nothing worked. It was a miracle that I could play at all to be honest. Anyways. So, as I'm warming up, one of the people on the committee for this preview walked in. It was my band director-Dr. Root. Before saying anything else to me, he told me that I had a cd of his daughter's that he was supposed to ask me about. He didn't even say hello. That man never ceases to frustrate me with his lack of treating me like a person. So, I went to sit down when it was time to start (since I was not involved with the first number) and another committee member walked in. Bettie-Jo. She is quickly becomming someone I admire (I can't believe I said that!). Well, maybe not admire, but look up to or something like that. Anyways, she was the only one that said hello to me that day. It's so frustrating! I just about went up to Dr. Root and told him that I would never be coming back. And to be honest, it almost felt like I wouldn't be. I felt so weird! So...to make a long story short (er)...she passed the preview and now we have to practice even more before her recital in 2 weeks. I need to work. I can't afford the gas. I don't have the time. And I don't enjoy going to Ogden at the moment. Ahh! I have a feeling that some changes might be coming in the near future. I sure hope so.

1 comments:

Lanae said...

I'm Annie's mom. Sometimes I check in on her friends blogs just for fun. Very seldom do I make comments. I felt your pain. I think that sometimes when we are "moving on" in life (so to speak)...that we get those feelings of not wanting to go back. I know I have. I grew up in South Ogden and loved it, but now Layton is my home. When my parents passed away, then I felt that same "weird" feeling you expressed. My parents old home and surrounding areas are just not the same. You obviously have moved on and are doing things to better your situation. I admire that. Hang in there and I'm sorry about the way you were treated. Sometimes people just don't think!