Blogger Templates
"You Don't Find Who You Truly Can Be Until You Have Lost Everything You Once Were. " -Chad Hymas
"Our Greatest Weakness Lies in Giving Up. The Most Certain Way to Succeed is Always to Try Just One More Time." -Thomas Edison

Sunday, April 6, 2008

A few things I learned this weekend from General Conference

First of all, I have to say that I really wasn't looking forward to General Conference this time. I have been extremely busy and stressed out and really wanted to sleep in on Saturday (as long as possible). I have so much homework that I need to catch up on. The apartment is a complete mess and no one will seem to do their part to clean it. Anyways. Then there's the spiritual depression I've been going through. Satan did his part to make me not want to watch. But, I decided to watch. It has been one of the most wonderful conferences I have ever listened to or watched. It seemed as if almost every talk was written just for me. Some of course didn't apply to me (at first-such as the talk about abuse, or motherhood), but the spirit was there and it was strong. Throughout the week in Choralaires we had been told to do what we need to to prepare for the conference. As previously mentioned in another blog, my testimony has been attacked to the extremes. So, being in an already broken-hearted state I decided to pray about conference this weekend. It's just so amazing that even one prayer like that can be answered. So, with that, I want to share some things that I learned (or was reminded of) and felt during this conference time. Some is a little too private and won't ever make it to this page, but a good deal I feel needs to be shared.
-Salvation is an individual matter, exhaltation is a family matter.
-We need to remember the experiences that have either sprouted or strengthened our testimonies.
-Never be sastisfied by anything less than your best efforts.
-President Monson is always concerned for the 'one'...we should be as well.
-President Eyring is truly a Prophet, Seer and Revelator.
-Scientific results will not wield in spiritual knowledge.
-More than once was it mentioned that we need to have a sincere desire to really know.
-Some testimonies are better gained on the feet that bear (or is it bare?...oh my I need to go back to elementary school:)) them than on the knees that are praying for them.
-Those who have the gift to know have the duty to bear their testimony to those who have the gift to hear.
-Anyone can disagree with a testimony, but no one can refute it.
-Robert D. Hales bore a testimony that reminded me of Bruce R. McConkie's. It was one of the most beautiful testimonies I have ever heard.
-The Holy Ghost speaks with a voice that is felt rather than heard.
-The Lord is nigh unto him that is of a broken heart (a comforting thought to me right now).
-The spirit carries things unto us, but not into us. We are the keepers of our own hearts.
-We must ask Heavenly Father for the capapcity to trust Him.
-We must seek to be rescued.
-Everyone has been prepared for the positions which they hold.
-The scriptures do not point to themselves. They are only manifestations of the only true source of knowledge, which is God.
-Blessings require work on our part.
-Missionaries are full-time teachers. We are full-time seekers.
-Each of us needs God's help in surrendering to His will.
-We must NEVER lower our standards to fit in. Our good example will attract others to our strength of characters.
-Though I weep through the night, joy will come in the morning.

These are just a few things that I felt impressed to remember. It seemed to me that there was a big point made that we can't just ask for help (whatever kind of help that may be). We need to be actively engaged in our own salvation. We cannot just ask, we must act.

Also, I have to comment on our wonderful new Prophet. I remember sitting at the television as a child, listening to President Thomas S. Monson during General Conference. He was one of the very few I understood. I loved to listen to his talks. He always said things that a child could understand. When President Hinckley passed away, I knew that everything would be ok. But, for some reason I struggled with the idea of President Monson being the new prophet. I really don't know why. I guess we each need our own witness. As he was giving his closeing remarks, his humility and love were evident. He truly is our prophet. He will be wonderful. I am excited to see what wonderful things he will do for the church and the world. :)

I am actually quite sad that conference is over. The spirit was there and it was strong. Heavenly Father is mindful of our needs. Truly, He is.

0 comments: